Monday, March 14, 2011

The Ramen mission

If you have been to Japan then you have probably had ramen. Ramen is quite simply the most delicious noodle soup known to man.  It was the first meal my parents had in Japan, and on my first trip to Japan I had it probably every second day, totalling twenty times!  What I didn't appreciate at the time, was how ramen dishes changed depending on the region.  I did though develop a generic favourite, tonkatsu (pork) ramen.

Making a good dish of tonkatsu ramen in New Zealand is not quite as easy as other Japanese dishes.  Basically, it is almost impossible to buy decent ramen noodles by themselves.  Other noodles are just not the same.  I have however found someone in the US who decided to try and learn how to make them, and I'm going to have a go - the link is here.

Homemade ramen noodles

I also found on the above blog a rather delicious stock recipe so at the moment our house smells unbelievable.  I'm basically boiling up pig's trotters and chicken frames with some caramelised ginger, garlic and onions.  Tomorrow I'll buy some char siu pork and have a go at making some ramen with the (imitation) noodles I brought from the Asian Supermarket.

No comments:

Post a Comment