Tuesday, April 5, 2011

When you need to show off/ Chocolate Passionfruit linzertorte



So we have grown up friends coming over tonight who are visiting from Australia.  We need grown up delicious food, but Tuesdays are quite busy for us.  My husband volunteered to cook the main (yay) so I decided to make a dessert.


Our friends are expecting their first baby so I needed to be mindful of pregnancy food requirements as well. Linzertorte was on my mind as a friend had brought by the most delicious chocolate and raspberry linzertorte from Arobakerei.  A bit of googling and frank assessment of the ingredients I had to hand and this is the recipe I came up, combined from about four different ones.  I really like ingredients that require three and a half hours cooling time immediately before serving!

Chocolate passionfruit linzertorte.

Ingredients
1 cup ground almonds
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
150grams butter
2/3 cup icing sugar
1 large egg yolk
1 1/4 cups plain flour
1/4 cup really nice cocoa 
3 passion fruit

150 grams dark chocolate (I used 62%)  

Method:

PREHEAT oven to 180C.

Mix ground almonds, cinnamon, flour and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, sugar and egg yolk in medium mixer bowl.  You want a mixture that will hold together and form a dough. Put 2/3 of the mixture in a nine inch tart tin, making sure it goes up the sides and is pretty even.

Melt chocolate in uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 1 minute; STIR. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals stirring just until chocolate is melted. Open up the passion fruit and mix passion fruit juice and seeds in with the chocolate.  Spread over base of tart.
With the remaining dough I crumbled it up and sprinkled it casually around the edge, given it a kind of rustic look (rustic is my word for not being bothered rolling it out and creating lattice work pastry).

Bake for 35-45 minutes (watch the crust to make sure it isn't burning) . Cool completely in pan on wire rack.  Refrigerate for at least 3 1/2 hours or until well chilled. Remove side of tart pan and place on serving platter before serving.  If I feel fancy I may make some marscapone and serve it on the side, otherwise I will pop down to the diary and get some cream.  I reckon a sprinkling of raspberries or blueberries would be nice with this too!

Variant:  Most of the recipes I read called for 'seedless raspberry jam' as the fruit flavouring.  A cup of any berry or plum jam would also be nice.  I also felt like a chocolate tart, but most recipes I found called for plain crusts.  Just substitute the cocoa in my recipe for flour if you want a plain one.

1 comment:

  1. I just tasted this and it is awesome. So rich though, so sending DH out to buy some cream.

    ReplyDelete